Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

A tuxedo story

I've been feeling bad about lagging behind on my blogging, and I just realized I've been checking things off of my list faster than I can write about them! That has to be a good thing at this stage in the game. For my list, but not my blog.

I'm about to meet two of my bridesmaids for sushi, so I'll do a quick recap of one of my recent adventures in wedding planning. Recaps of the rest are soon to come.

Last weekend we went to the bridal shop where I found my gown, and BK tried on four tuxedo options, two for the groomsmen and two for himself. I knew he'd look sharp in just about anything, because he likes to dress up -- and it shows. I'd never seen him in a tux before this, but he is just one of those guys who can totally pull off a suit or a black blazer and not look like he's wearing "monkey clothes," as they say.

After trying on two possibilities for the groomsmen and one look for himself, he came out of the fitting room in a second groom-worthy style. I never would have thought you could get that feeling of, "That's the one!" I figured that was more for the brides trying on gowns.

But looking at him in that outfit, I just knew that was what he'd wear on our wedding day. He looked good in all of them, but this was special. I thought, Wow, he looks so handsome that I just want to hug him. And then I did.

I never imagined a tuxedo could get me so excited, and even a bit emotional. But maybe it's because I could visualize BK standing at the altar, waiting for me. And it was nice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leo M Mulvihill, Jr said...

You're right, Melissa, to get excited about seeing your fiancee in a tuxedo. Every man looks great in a classic tux. For most, it's the epitome of men's eveningwear.

A great resource for those who are interested in learning more about the history and use of men's evening dress can be found at http://www.blacktieguide.com/. Not my site, but I've found it incredible useful.

June 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM 
Blogger Melissa Brooks said...

Thanks for the resource, Leo. I'll have to check out that link. This could be an entirely new post, but I thought I'd share with you given your interest in men's formal wear. My fiance and I went back and forth between bow tie and necktie. Right off the bat he told me he wanted to wear a bow tie, and after discussing it totally made sense to us, as we both like the timeless, classic look -- essentially modern vintage. He decided to try on necktie options as well, just to be sure. In the end we knew the bow tie tuxedo won by a landslide. It really is the ultimate classic look. Side note: He originally wanted the true classic, black and white, but our tux guy encouraged him to try the "groom look," or ivory (more like a creamy white) bow tie/vest. We were very hesitant, but that look turned out to be such a pleasant surprise -- so sharp and it really came together nicely -- perfect for your wedding day. We were actually discussing with the tux guy that while the classic bow tie tuxedo never left, and it's had its ups and downs throughout the years as far as how it's perceived by the masses, the neck tie did dominate the industry for several years. But now here the bow tie is again, making a definite comeback. Interesting.

June 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home