Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Friday, April 29, 2011

William and Kate: They've made a Royal Wedding fan out of me

So I wasn't hyped for the Royal Wedding. And by that I mean I wasn't counting down the days, hanging onto each and every detail throughout the planning process, speculating in anticipation about who designed her dress, ordering commemorative coins, flying to London and pitching a tent. None of that.

But I must admit, in the hours leading up to it, I became a tad bit interested. Then next thing I knew, Bentley and I were watching Will, my old crush, ride in a Bentley with his brother to Westminster Abbey. Yes, my dog watches TV.

Then, as my Cavalier King Charles and I ate our breakfasts together, we watched Kate step out of a Rolls Royce. And there it was. Her gown. While I didn't enter any office pools about who designed her dress or what type of neckline she chose, the bride in me did think for a moment, a few days ago, about what it might look like.

I knew she wouldn't wear strapless like most brides of today. So with that in mind, I immediately pictured lace sleeves. I'm not a total clairvoyant though. I envisioned lace, cap sleeves -- not long sleeves.

That said, I love the dress she chose. As soon as I saw it I thought: Timeless elegance, vintage 1950s, Grace Kelly. And then I heard the King of Fashion himself, Tim Gunn say on the ABC broadcast that yes, the long-sleeved lace and ivory gown designed by Sarah Burton, creative director for the late Alexander McQueen, was reminiscent of Princess Grace's, but that Kate's, with its V-neck, was very "modern."

Mark Badgley told ABC that he and James Mischka "thought it was perfection." So did I.


















It really was like watching a modern-day fairy tale. She traveled to Westminster Abbey as Kate, a "commoner," in a car. She left Princess Catherine, in a horse-drawn carriage, with her Prince Charming.

As a "regular" bride-to-be looking to my wedding day, I imagined how Kate felt during the drive from the hotel to the ceremony. The massive crowd of people there to see her, cheering for her union with their prince -- the emotions must have been overwhelming.

Seeing William and Harry together struck an emotional chord. I finally recognized how huge this was and thought, what a shame that their mother couldn't be there.

Being a bit of a romantic, it was nice to witness the glances the couple exchanged, and to notice William mouth, "You look beautiful," as his bride joined him at the altar.

It really was lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home