Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ahh [deep breath], that's done

It always feels good to get things done. Whether it's tackling that pile of laundry that's been building up, finishing a project at work or organizing your messy closet -- the sense of accomplishment that comes when the task is completed feels great. And when it comes to getting that wonderful feeling of "Ahh [deep breath], that's done," checking items off of your wedding planning list is no exception.

A couple of weeks ago I attended an open house and chef's sampling at Normandy Farm. I was rolling deep with BK, MOB, FOB, MOG and FOG. Turns out so was every other bride whose reception is at either Normandy or Blue Bell Country Club during the upcoming fall and winter seasons. The place was a mad house.

At first I was like a crazed woman on a mission: Taste everything in sight, as to be positively sure of our menu selections. Our date is only a week into fall, so having been invited to the venue's fall/winter open house rather than their spring/summer event, we had to get right down to business -- while other couples whose weddings are in February were mostly enjoying the free food and drinks. We had yet to order our invitations, and with reason -- so we could taste the entrees we were undecided on and know what to have them print on the invitations as selections.

Attending that kind of  soiree is key. You're able to taste and see the food, mingle with your fiance and parents at your chosen venue, see a possible setup for your head table. There were vendors there, of course, but I'm past that point, having already selected a photographer, florist and DJ. Besides, the food occupied all of my time anyway. I didn't even get to enjoy the free white zinfandel (Hello, I love that stuff like Ramona Singer loves pinot grigio!) or the (totally out of place, might I add) free spray tan (as if!).

So that same week, MOB and I ordered the invitations. That's a much more involved process than the inexperienced bride would think. First, finding the design you want; then picking the colors and the font from many, many choices; then coming up with just the right wording and figuring out general directions to the church and reception for printing -- whew, glad that's over.

Then I moved onto some miscellaneous tasks over the weekend. BK and I took advantage of the lovely Metroplex, picking up card stock and related materials from Michael's in order to attempt DIY table number cards for our reception; and then grabbing a few items for the cute gifts I'm putting together for my bridesmaids. I also picked up the Vera Wang hair comb I'd been coveting. And, of course, we  re-stocked Bentley's treat shelves with a quick visit to Pet Smart.

I went to bed Sunday night feeling relaxed and accomplished. Recently, most Sunday nights have been sleepless, as I toss and turn thinking of all the tasks I'll need to tackle that week. Last week was a good one as far as getting thing done on the wedding front. Now here I am, just over this week's hump and facing a whole new list of to do's for the "I do."

Note: We have a big appointment tomorrow night: going over all of our reception details with the event manager. I'm hoping to come out of there with a sigh and a bunch of check marks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home