Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm thankful

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I've listed 14 things (in no particular order) that I'm much appreciative of, especially right about now.

* I’m not a royal. Who needs all of those outside opinions from strange people weighing in on your wedding? Not me.

* Anything pumpkin. Coffee, soup, pie -- you name it. I'm drinking Dunkin' Donuts pumpkin coffee as I type this.

* Charter Club Blanket, 3 in 1 wrap. A.K.A. Snugs. Given to me as a Christmas gift last year from BK (it was on my list for years and no one else ever took it seriously), this is basically a less tacky and more plush Snuggie. Used as a blanket, throw or wearable wrap, this is one item I am thankful for 365 comfy days of the year (I use the cooler side in the summer). It's become Bentley's favorite, too. I highly recommend it. Mine is light green :-)

* That thing called technology. With my siblings in St. Louis and on Guam, the Internet and phone have been the glue to keep our relationships together. E-mails, text messages, Facebook posts, blog updates and Skype conversations are all ways I’ve been able to stay in touch when I can’t visit them in person.

* My AP Stylebook. My Bible.

* Cushion cut diamonds. I vow to never grow tired of the one I’m wearing on my left ring finger.

* My snuggly puppy. He is the cure-all for a bad day, the reliever of my stress. If I could sell his excellent cuddles I’d be a rich woman.

* Bertolli Complete Skillet Meal for Two. With work, wedding planning and a puppy, these delish frozen dinners are the answer to our favorite question: "What’s for dinner?"

* My fiancé. Did I tell you BK actually stands for Betty (K)rocker? How fortunate am I to have a guy who’ll whip up a quick dinner without even having to ask him to? He’s also my favorite person to spend time with outside of the kitchen, whether we’re going to a nice dinner in the city, running errands all day, watching TV or doing absolutely nothing. He’s my perfect partner.

* Homemade pineapple stuffing. A winning side dish at my family’s holiday meals and usually my main contribution to the table, it’s sweet but not a dessert. Made with bread cubes, butter, sugar, eggs and crushed pineapple.

* TheKnot.com. A one-stop cyber shop that's necessary for all brides to visit throughout their planning days. It even has helpful articles for the first-time maid of honor or bridesmaid.

* Seven girls. The ones who'll be by my side on my wedding day. They are my sister, the girls I grew up with and the girl I lived with in college. I just love them all to pieces and am so lucky to have friends like them every day -- but especially on my special day.

* The color pewter. I wear it on my eye lids for a smokey look. I’ll never stop buying multiple tops in this color because I think it’s super sleek and classy. And it’s the inspiration for my wedding color scheme. My bridesmaids will be dressed in pewter (a shade that's not shiny or metallic) and to complement this mega dark gray I’m bringing in a super soft pink, or blush, for the flowers and my flower girl’s cute little dress. To me the color combo of pewter/blush is stylish and romantic.

* Priscilla of Boston . In my opinion it's the best place to find bridesmaid dresses. After searching and not finding anything close to acceptable for my sister's wedding (there are a lotta uglies out there), we found the perfect little number at the Priscilla in Ardmore. We realized nothing else compared to their wide selection of stylish designs from top bridal designers (Melissa Sweet is awesome and Vineyard is great, too) so I went straight there to pick out the garment for my maids. While the prices of their gowns are particularly high, their well-made and fashionable bm dresses are no more expensive than any others I've seen at area shops.


Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Melissa! I just wanted to tell you again how much I love reading your blog! I also love Priscilla of Boston for bridesmaid dresses - and the new store is beautiful! I have worn them in two of my friends' weddings. Which dress did you decide to go with? I have a list of five favorites haha! Decisions decisions! Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

November 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM 
Blogger Melissa Brooks said...

Thanks for reading, Laura! I had a list of about five as well. My sister and I picked them out on the website and then we went to try them all on. You'll surely be able to narrow it down when you see the material up close and check out the color swatches in person. The colors are never accurate on the website. I chose the Vineyard 1515 (satin, strapless, sweetheart). Is that one you wore?! I loved the cascading fabric flowers. My sister's was the now very popular Melissa Sweet 215 (strapless, empire waist, pockets) in thyme because it was right before Christmas. I loved wearing it! Share your options with me if you'd like :-)

November 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home