Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Bridezilla vs. quarter end

Anyone who thinks I’ve left out some major info, like how BK and I met or how the proposal happened, I’ll get to that later. First, no true telling of my wedding planning adventures would be complete without this story.

It’s the story of a minor setback that now, about two months later, I can already laugh about. Kinda.

At the time it was happening, I seriously thought to myself, if ever I am to assume the role of a Bridezilla, it would be now. Now, I thought, would be the time to stomp on any man, building or portion of the fiscal year that stands in the way of MY day.

So it’s me, BK and my mom sitting with the senior sales manager at Normandy. We’d just taken the official tour and envisioned our guests in the grand ballroom eating filet and dancing under the barn’s cathedral ceiling.

I excused myself to take an important call from my sister. Her home visit had come to an end and we were expecting to hear if she’d caught a military flight back to Guam, to rejoin her husband and two island Chihuahuas.

When I re-entered the room a couple of minutes later the vibe seemed different from when I’d left. I said with a laugh, "Did I miss anything?" not expecting to hear what I heard next.

My mom and the sales manager both directed their attention to BK, as if prompting him to tell me something. I looked at him and noticed he seemed nervous. I cautiously requested that someone please tell me what the heck was going on. Then my fiancé dropped a bomb.

He revealed that as he was leaving work to get to this very important appointment, his boss asked if we had a date in mind. BK answered yes, Sept. 30. And his boss reminded him that the following Monday would mark the start of quarter end (my translation: a busy period that would not be a great time to take off of work, or go on a honeymoon).

I didn’t hear it clearly at first. My take on it was this: Someone I’d never met was telling me I couldn’t get married on the date I’d chosen, the only date available to have it at this particular venue?

I know, I was acting a bit irrational at that moment. But a lot was at stake, and I felt like I could suddenly lose it--and just as I was about to book it.

Of course I realize people have jobs to do, and in certain fields there are times of the year that are busier than others. I also realize it’s not absolutely vital to take a honeymoon immediately after tying the knot. But the thought of returning to work the following Monday depressed me.

The fact that this information was disclosed while I happened to be out of the room did not help. It was a dramatic turn of events, indeed.

After my 12-hour freak sesh, BK went to work the next day and talked it over with the boss, sharing the details of how crucial this date was to us. He understood. In the end, I didn't have to crush anyone or anything with my newfound Bridezilla strength. Our wedding date and the dates we hoped to honeymoon were safe.

Moral of the story: If your fiancé has a demanding job, don’t be completely distraught if his boss has to sign off on your wedding date. OK it's alright to be a little upset. I totally was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home