Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Honeymoon crashers

I hadn't yet looked into honeymoon options -- not even so much as a Google search -- when I was dumbfounded, left completely speechless and then suddenly frazzled by what I'm about to tell you.

Let me provide some background info straight from my personal honeymoon file. There's only ever been one destination that's come to mind. In the two years we've been together, both before we even got engaged (just for fun) and post engagement, BK and I have discussed our shared desire to possibly honeymoon on an island in Greece. It's all very preliminary, but Greece is the only location we've even thrown out there at this point.

A sucker for the romantic Santorini scenes in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)," I've had thoughts of a honeymoon in Greece before I even met my fiance, and I know I'd mentioned it at least once to my mom. When "Mama Mia" hit the big screen I didn't care if the bright blues were digitaly enhanced -- I was someday going to a place just like that. Why not for my honeymoon, I thought.

I was home visiting my parents recently when my mom, sitting at her laptop and surfing the Net, said (with a level of excitement that seemed completely unreasonable to me), "I'm going hiking in Greece! We're doing a Rick Steves tour! We leave the day after your wedding!"

WHAT?!

I know I don't own Greece or any of its islands, and any of my family members are obviously free to travel there whenever they want. I also know my trip wasn't even close to booked. So who was I to be bothered by this? I guess I just did not expect my parents to crash my honeymoon.

My mom insisted these would be two totally different trips and we'd be vacationing nowhere near each other. There are several tours offered throughout the year and the one that best suited my parents' schedules happened to depart the day after my wedding, she said. She even pulled up a map and tried to find the stops on their tour, to prove how far the region they'd visit was from Santorini.

I hate maps. This only irritated me more.

I should probably mention this is the trip my parents plan to take for their 30th wedding anniversary, which is actually in August but my mom said she'll be too occupied with my wedding plans to go on a 2011 vacation before Sept. 30.

As my whining escalated, she offered to push up their departure. I'm not sure what's worse: sharing an airplane with my parents on the way to our honeymoon or being bombarded with my mom's 5,097 photos of my parents' anniversary trip to Greece, a mere few months before BK and I would leave for our once-in-a-lifetime trip.

OK I'll be logical for a minute. I realize I sound like a brat, and there are far more important things to worry about. I'd be so lucky to travel anywhere for my honeymoon. And I'm so fortunate to have parents who are still married after nearly 30 years, and who want to celebrate their relationship with such a nice trip.

But why, I ask, does that trip have to be to Greece, the same place I've dreamed of escaping to after all of the wedding madness?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home