Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Babbling goodbye before embarking on the next chapter in blogging

The date of my last post was exactly a month before our wedding, and Sunday will mark our one-month anniversary.

Blogging about my life and wedding plans in this past year has been a fun journey. At times it helped me write through some of the decisions that stumped me and stressed me. And then in the end, it became impossible to Babble, because I was too busy doing.

I know all my fellow brides would agree that the month leading up to the wedding, particularly the two-week countdown, is pure craziness.

It’s a level of stress that most grooms will never understand, including nitpicky responsibilities (last-minute printing of the programs, assembling of the favors, dropping off the personalized reception props and champagne flutes to name just a few) that he will never bear.

BK was a sounding board from start to finish. I could bounce ideas off of him and he’d listen. He helped me make many decisions and even made a few of his own. He offered to help with all of the “little things,” but in the end they were things only I could do. Brides know that those are not the words of a control freak. It’s just the bride-groom dynamic and the way of the wedding planning universe.

Even though I was sleep-deprived and at times in a tizzy during the last two weeks of September, everything got done. One-by-one I checked it all off my list, and the wedding came and went. Here I am, nearly a month later, married.

A few weeks ago I was lying in bed, fresh off of our honeymoon and about to return to work the next day. It felt strange to not have to go through a mental checklist of what was to be done for the wedding when I awoke in the morning. It wasn’t something I thought about in Curacao. That was a true getaway.

But once I was back, I realized that the dress had been worn, and everything I’d worried about and worked on for several months was now done. It felt strange. As I write I realize it may sound like I was sad, but it was more of a moment of peace, like, that was an unbelievably amazing day, but now we can live our lives.

Of course we hit a few glitches that day — the flowers were all delivered to my suite and no one thought to get the guys’ boutonniere’s to them until the photographer asked if the guys had flowers; my dress got a bit dirty as we trekked around the grounds to get the best outdoor shots; and the event planning manager informed me at the start of cocktail hour that we had two number 12 table cards and no number 13.

If I’d read this on another bride’s blog while knee deep in plans, I’d think: Disastrous. But in reality they were all easy fixes, just little bumps in the road on the happiest day of our lives.

Someone ran up to the room and brought the flowers down to the guys while we got some girls-only photos. The videographer got stain stick out of his car and I fixed my sash in the limo on the way to church. As I sat down for the first time in hours and sipped champagne and popped crab Rangoon, chicken fontina puffs and artisan cheeses in my mouth, the double 12’s didn’t bother me at all. I’d had my own table number cards made so the venue stuck their number 13 on that table. Solved.

The flowers were gorgeous, the food was delicious, my outfit and hair came together as envisioned and everyone danced until midnight.

Now, with my brother's and two of my best friends’ weddings coming up in 2012, I get to step back and just be the bridesmaid. Of course that leaves more room for me to fulfill my most important roles: Wife, dog mommy and writer. Keep an eye out for the next chapter in the near future.

3 Comments:

Blogger kennady said...

It's an useful information for the wedding planning couples.Congrats to the coming up wedding couples.If any one wants more than this information,you may use the wedding planner iPad app and make full use of it.

November 3, 2011 at 7:18 AM 
Blogger Christine Reckner said...

Interesting blog, Melissa. Gives me an insightful glimpse at the things I have to look forward to and how to handle them properly :).

July 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM 
Blogger Melissa Brooks said...

Thanks, Christine! Some days I miss being the Babbling Bride, but it's great to know that future brides can benefit from reading my documented journey!

July 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home