Blogs > Babbling Bride

A blog detailing the inner thoughts and wedding plans of a slightly neurotic blonde.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A storyteller's videographer

I have a major addendum to my last entry. We booked our videographer! It is such a relief to be able to check this one off. It'd been sitting at the top of my list (and hanging over my head) for quite some time.

I'd done quite a bit of research and had a specific aesthetic in mind. It seemed like I'd finally found what I was looking for in a top Philadelphia-based company, but their prices were insanely high -- like way out there. I kept plugging away with the search, but most of the sample videos I came across seemed lame and their websites were cheesy.

What did I see in Branded Productions? The "about" on my chosen videographer's Facebook page says it all: "Because we believe cheese goes well with wine, not with video."

Aha! A company that gets it.

When I first spoke with Ed, Branded's owner, he said their cinematic wedding videos aim to take portions of the big day and string them together as a cohesive story. They would tell our story. That really resonated with me.

As a journalist, I am a storyteller. I absolutely love listening to people, learning about their experiences and then piecing together the tidbits they share.

To hear someone refer to the making of my wedding video as a form of storytelling meant a lot to me. I felt the same comfort in choosing my wedding photog, who began her career as a photojournalist. I see the same value of storytelling in her photos.

I'll often be having a conversation with someone and a red flag goes up at something they say (that's a story!). Or I'll be interviewing someone who shares a detail in passing, not realizing it's the very information they disregard that's interesting to others. I make sense of the world through stories.

In my search for a videographer I've actually enjoyed watching highlights of strangers on their wedding days. A glance, a pat on the back, a tear, a smile. They're unplanned moments caught on camera, and they say a lot about these people.

So here's a piece of Babbling Bride advice for other engaged ladies planning their weddings: A good wedding video tells a story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home